Is Your Home’s AC Ready for Summer?
Alpharetta, GA – Spring is here, which means the warm summer months are just around the corner. And that also means you may see higher utility bills as your AC runs more often – and that’s especially true if your unit isn’t ready for the warmer months.
“There are a few things you can do to be sure your home is ready for the heat,” says HVAC expert Phil Montgomery. “Heating and cooling your home is often the majority of your utility bill, and it can be a lot more if you aren’t making sure your unit is set to run as efficiently as possible.”
The experts at Atlanta Heating and Air Conditioning offer these tips.
- Change your air filters. This is the simplest way to ensure your unit continues to run efficiently. At the very minimum, filters should be changed every three months, but when your AC is running round the clock, it’s best to change the filters once a month.
- Clean the outside unit. Think about what kind of debris can collect on your outside unit over time if it isn’t covered. Mud, dirt, leaves, and other debris can clog up your unit, making it run slower. Give the unit a good spray down before running it for the summer. Then, be sure there is no debris near the unit and keep it clean throughout the summer months to prevent it from getting clogged.
- Check your ductwork for leaks. Leaky ducts make your unit work much harder than it needs to, so check your ductwork for holes or areas where the joints are disconnected. Special tape can be used to repair any separated pieces or small holes.
- Check the coolant lines. Foam coolant line insulation prevents the lines from losing energy while your unit is running. Check the lines to be sure the insulation is still in properly in place.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Programmable thermostats can equal big energy savings by ensuring your unit is only running when you need it. Many smart thermostats can even be programmed by your phone, so if you forget to turn the unit off when you know you’ll be out of the house all day, you can program it from anywhere.
If it has been a while since your unit was serviced, it’s a good idea to have it checked out by a professional. Schedule an appointment with Atlanta Heating and Air Conditioning before the summer months hit so you know you’re unit will be ready to take the heat. Call today at 404-942-9779.