Types of Air Conditioners And The Importance of AC Maintenance
Air conditioning (AC) plays a very important role in our daily comfort especially when the hot summer months arrive. Nothing is cooler than coming to a comfortably air conditioned home at the end of the day. Having an air conditioner may be luxury for some but, for others who live in warm climates, such as Atlanta, Georgia it is a necessity.
Now, if you’re thinking of buying another HVAC system for home, one very important thing you need to do is choose the type of AC you need.
Types of Air Conditioning Systems
- Packaged AC – These types of ACs are usually used in homes and in the office and can cool more than two rooms or even larger spaces. They are usually placed on the roof or mounted on the ground.
- Split AC – Split AC is comprised of two parts: One is the indoor unit which is composed of the evaporator and the cooling fan and the other is the outdoor unit which comprises the compressor, and condenser. These are air conditioning parts that can go bad and cause AC replacement. This type is commonly found in homes as well as in small office spaces.
- Window AC – Window type air conditioners are not centralized units but can actually circulate cool air for single rooms. This is one of the most commonly used types and is for those who are on a budget.
- Central AC – This is the same as packaged AC and split system.
AC Maintenance: What Owners Can Do
However, just like many other machines, the performance of your air conditioner is affected by the wear and tear phenomenon. As time passes by it is inevitable that your unit will eventually decrease in performance. For every year the AC runs, it loses efficiency.
Having the knowledge about proper air conditioning maintenance can help you keep your unit running at full capacity. Proper cooling services care and maintenance such as, regular check ups and cleaning will be of great help to improve system performance and saves you money on energy costs as well as air conditioning repair. This will also help extend the life span of your HVAC system and avoid malfunctioning of your unit.
Some important steps that you should take:
- Keep the temperature set to 80 degrees for energy savings
- Consider the location of the unit, placing it in the shadiest part of the yard will facilitate it’s capacity to keep the home cool thus the unit will work less.
- Be sure to close all doors and windows when the unit is being used for fast and proper cooling.
- When leaving the house remember to adjust the unit to at least 85 degrees or completely turn it off.
- Remember to replace the filter every one to two months to ensure that you receive air conditioning service of maximum efficiency.
- Should it become necessary, do not forget you can contact Atlanta Heating and Air Conditioning for cooling services and heating services.
It’s time for air conditioning replacement if:
- Your heat pump or air conditioner is already 10 years old or more.
- Your furnace or boiler is more than 15 years old.
- Cooling services becomes more frequent and bills are going up.
- Your system is noisy when being used.
Air conditioners make a hot climate bearable for us. Thus, it is important for us to have even just some basic knowledge regarding the proper handling and information regarding air conditioning. This will help you save economically and also ensure your safety for future electrical/mechanical problems that could be a result of a malfunctioning HVAC system.
© Atlanta Heating and Air Conditioning, 2014. Duplication of all or part of this material is strictly prohibited yet authorization to use excerpts or quote extracts is granted, with the stipulation that an explicit credit is given to Atlanta Heating and Air Conditioning with proper direction to the original content.